What is a “Documentarian”?
Storytellers and Documentarians have been an important part of the Burning Man culture since its beginning. The images and videos that come out of Black Rock City have helped extend the impact of Burning Man far beyond the playa. The capturing of the rituals/performances that make up the Fire Conclave are an important part of this documentation.
The term “Documentarian” simply refers to your media person, otherwise known as your group’s Photographer and/or Videographer. Media Mecca (the Department which oversees all photography and videography at Burning Man) limits all Conclave Fire groups to having one Documentarian per group.
How does someone apply to be a Documentarian?
If you are planning to have a Documentarian capture your fire dance in the Great Circle this year, we have compiled a list of the important registration deadlines, check-ins and meetings related to this position…
Register with Media Mecca:
- Deadline: Wednesday, July 20th @ 12 noon PST
- Link to Register: https://profiles.burningman.org/participate/media-application-conclave/
- The registration process should ask for the Fire Conclave group name. If it does not, it is not the correct registration link.
- Once your Documentarian registers using this link, he/she will receive an email confirmation from Media Mecca. Please verify that your Documentarians have this email confirmation! We recommend asking them to forward you a copy to file away in case there is confusion later.
NOTE: IF YOUR DOCUMENTARIAN FAILS TO REGISTER BEFORE THE DEADLINE, THEY CANNOT BE UTILIZED/LISTED ON YOUR SPREADSHEET AS YOUR DOCUMENTARIAN. PLEASE MAKE SURE THEY HAVE RECEIVED THEIR EMAIL CONFIRMATION FROM MEDIA MECCA.
- Check in at Fire Conclave Convergence located just inside the 6:00 portal before 6pm on Friday, September 2, 2022. Fire Conclave Convergence is open Monday-Friday 10-6pm.
- Check in at Media Mecca located in Center Camp before 5pm on Friday, September 2, 2022. Media Mecca is open Monday-Friday 10am-5pm.
- Attend the Documentarian Mandatory Safety Meeting at Fire Conclave Convergence on Saturday September 3, 2022 @ 11am sharp. This meeting is where Documentarians will receive their Great Circle Access Pass (GCAP) that gives them access into the Great Circle.
NOTE: IF YOUR DOCUMENTARIAN FAILS TO MEET ANY OF THESE REQUIREMENTS, THEY WILL NOT RECEIVE A GCAP AND WILL NOT BE GRANTED ACCESS INTO THE GREAT CIRCLE.
Decommodification and Image Use:
Burning Man has a unique set of media and image use policies guided primarily by our Principle of Decommodification. While self-expression is highly encouraged, Burning Man does have an important set of policies surrounding media use. Burning Man images, video and audio cannot be used by anyone (including Fire Groups) in a commercial manner or to promote any products, brands, services, or events (including Fundraising events), etc.
To read more about BM’s media policy, and how you can use the photos your group takes at BM, click here:
The Fire Conclave Council
Crimson, Tabasco, Wrangler, Scorch and Natalie