Welcome, and congratulations on jumping through all of our hoops and submitting your Fire Group’s intention to perform for the 2022 Fire Conclave!
During the first month or so, the passing of information between the Fire Conclave Council and you, then from you to your group (especially larger groups) can seem overwhelming. So, here are a few tips on how to best communicate with us, with your group members, as well as other ways to stay informed.
In this post we will cover the various ways to communicate within the Fire Conclave including:
- Emailing the Fire Conclave Council
- Shin Monthly Reports
- Shin Forums
- Special Education Forums
- The Fire Conclave Announce List
- Shin Tips
- Communication with Other Shins
- Communicating/Relaying Information to your Group
- Social Media
Email The Fire Conclave Council
The primary and most direct way to contact us is through email. You may contact us anytime at: firstname.lastname@example.org. This email goes to the whole council (Crimson, Tabasco, Wrangler, Scorch and Natalie)
Please make sure to change the subject line of the email to reflect your group name and what it is you are asking, especially when responding to a group email This is important so that we can track correspondence for each group.
Subject line of email:
- The Sparkle Donkey Project – March Report
- The Sparkle Donkey Project-Question about tickets
- Something important that the council sent – Sparkle Donkey Project
Body of email:
- Please include the Group Name and the Shin’s Name. For example: The Sparkle Donkey Project – Whiskey is my Name.
You do not need to wait to ask questions. You may ask them as they come up or when you feel you have enough questions that need answering. Often we find one person asks, but 10 people want to know and 10 more didn’t know they should know. So don’t be afraid to ask. If enough of you ask the same thing, we will clarify in a bigger communication.
Shin Monthly Reports
We require a “Monthly Report” from each group’s Shin which is due via email by the 25th of each month. Please don’t wait until the last day to send them, as receiving them all on the same day is a lot for us to shift through. You may send them two weeks prior to the deadline. These progress reports are tracked, and we acknowledge their receipt. Failure to provide us with monthly reports can jeopardize your group’s good standing within the Fire Conclave. The Monthly Shin Report Template can be found on the Fire Conclave Council Resource Page (we suggest bookmarking this page on your computer’s bookmark bar for easy access).
We conduct two mandatory Shin Forums per year. Once early in the season, and another one later in the season (typically mid-July). The purpose of these forums is to cover as much important information relating to the Fire Conclave as we can. It also gives you, the Shins and Assistant Shins, the opportunity to ask questions and seek clarifications.
There will be two meeting date options for each forum. These forums are conducted utilizing “Zoom” and links will be shared with Shins.
When: Thursday, March 3rd from 6:00-8:00pm (PST – meeting opens at 5:45pm)
When: Sunday, March 6th from 12(noon)-2:00pm (PST – meeting opens at 11:45am)
If for some reason you can not attend either, a recorded version will be shared after the events.
Special Educational Forums
Last year we tried something new in an effort to help both newer Shins and seasoned professionals with certain topics, it was a success so we are repeating it again this year. The first educational forum is called “Choreography 101” and will cover the different aspects of choreography related specifically to Fire Conclave. We will cover topics such as the “duet”, “transitions”, “storylines” and “when/how to use large fire props”. We highly encourage Shins, Assistant Shins, any member of the group that is leading a group, and Choreographers to attend. Links will be shared with Shins.
When: Sunday, March 6th from 3:00-5:00pm (PST – meeting opens at 2:55pm)
The Fire Conclave Announce List
Stay up to date with all the activities related to the Fire Conclave at Burning Man directly from the Fire Conclave Council. In addition to Shins and Shin Assists, anyone in the fire performance community (or interested in fire dancing in general) is encouraged to subscribe.
Email us at: email@example.com, and tell us something about yourself, your relationship with fire performance, if you have attended Burning Man, and anything else you want to express about yourself. That’s it. We’ll subscribe you to the list.
Shin Tips are short communications that we feel will help you better manage your groups. Topics range from managing suggestions to important reminders. We send them out as needed (once or twice a month usually), so keep an eye out for them. They will appear in your email inbox, and on Discord.
Communicating with Other Shins
- The Shin List – It’s a place where the FCC can send important information down the pipeline for you to pass on to your groups. It’s also a place where you can get advice, suggestions, and share information with other Shins.
We Consider this the MAIN way to announce info to the whole of the conclave. Deadlines and other info will always be shared here first.
Email to the list – fireconclave-shin-list@fire-conclave-council
- Discord – You have already been informed of the Discord server and hopefully have joined and are up for sharing, discussing, and participating.
Your participation on Discord is very welcome but not required. Important Dates and Announcements will be published on the Shin List.
Communicating/Relaying Information to your Group
We have found the best ways to communicate information to your group people are:
- Utilizing Social Media Groups (such as Facebook) – Utilizing groups on social media sites such as Facebook is a great way to keep communication flowing between you and your fire group. You can set up one main Facebook Group where all important announcements (such as ticket and filming information) can be passed onto all of your members.
- Discord, Slack or Other Communication Platforms – These tools give everyone a place to talk about their projects while also allowing the leadership to check in and oversee all the work being done.
- Utilizing Email Groups (such as google or yahoo) – If email is your thing, make a google or yahoo group. Put everyone in the group and then instead of sending emails to 30 individuals, you can simply send the emails to a group address.
Keep in mind that you may have to use a variety of methods to reach all of your group members.
- Fire Conclave Public Facebook Page: The Fire Conclave has a main page open to the public where you can be the first to see important information such as deadlines, ticketing information, photos and more. Follow us at: https://www.facebook.com/Thefireconclave/
- Fire Conclave Instagram: Follow us on Instagram @fireconclave. We will be posting pictures from burn night from the Great Circle Documentarian Team (Grant Palmer, Espresso Buzz and Kevin LeVezu) as well as guest photographers. Check them out at: https://www.instagram.com/fireconclave/
- Youtube: Burning Man Project has a Youtube channel with a dedicated Fire Conclave playlist. You can see that here – https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvI7u3Blon01GNcte2LenjZyTiPglvEOU
Regards…The Fire Conclave Council
Crimson, Tabasco, Wrangler, Scorch and Natalie
Photo Credit: Kevin LeVezu